Saturday, August 16, 2014

Walking Into a Candle Shop.

Hey there!
Today I'm going to tell you the story of how walking into a candle shop might have changed my life forever....

It was 5 o'clock on a Thursday when Bobbi and I rolled into Solvang. We had just finished a week in Pismo Beach with my grandparents and now we were on the second leg of our trip. Four days in the King James Inn, located in the small Danish impostor town of Solvang. The street rolls up in Solvang at five, so satisfying our adventurous spirits was going to be a challenge. I was on a hunt for the Rainbow Tea shop (which I later learned had closed down months before.) My search was looking like a lost cause, so Bobbi suggested we check out some other stores. We found a candle shop that sold little touristy items at extremely low prices. As we were looking around, laughing and being generally exhausted from the drive, a girl with green hair walked into the shop. She looked like she was nineteen and having a bad day. So I called out to her,
"Hey, sorry this may be totally weird, but I really like your hair."
I forget her intimidate response, but somehow we started having a conversation. She said her name was Ari. I took it upon myself to introduce Bobbi and I,
"I'm Hunter, and this is Bobbi. We're girls with boys names."
"Really, like those are your actual names?" Her response was intimidate.
"Yep."
And that's how we continued. Ari and Bobbi had similar taste in music, I had no clue what they were talking about so I busied myself with things in the shop. We stuck around aimlessly wondering and Ari said,
"Yeah this is my first day working here."
My thoughts were, 'Wow, how lucky are we?' I'm not sure if I said it or not, but knowing me I probably did.
Somehow she roped us into buying some cool stickers. And she eventually asked us to hang out after she closed up shop. We exchanged numbers (I fucked mine up by accident.) And that was it.
Until she texted us the next morning.

I was thinking about this today because Ari is now someone I would consider a really good friend. I only knew her for four days, but she's made such an impression on me. I love the fact that I have her for a friend now all because I walked into a candle shop and told a girl that I liked her green hair.

If you want to hear more stories from Solvang, stay tuned because the next installment is coming soon.
Ari showed me some songs today so go check out Big Jet Plane by Angus and Julia Stone
Check you next time,
-xoHunter

No comments:

Post a Comment